The Garden holds many secrets; beneficial, beautiful and even deadly. Enter the door to the secrets if you dare!
The oleander plant is one of the south’s most beautiful shrubs. They can grow to 10′ tall and make the most beautiful hedge.
And the most deadly!
All parts of the Oleander plant are toxic. From the roots to the flowers. Even the sap can cause harm, starting with an irritating rash to something far worse. Inhaling the smoke from burning Oleander will also cause harm.
The Oleander plant contains not one, but two types of poisons; oleandrin and nerinne, both having powerful effects on the heart. Ingesting any part of the plant can cause diarrhea, vomiting, wrenching stomach pain, drowsiness, dizziness and an irregular heartbeat, leading to death.
Having treatment like having the stomach pumped with in 24 hours can increase the odds of your survival, but not always.
So remember, not all that is beautiful is perfect. Poison is definitely a flaw.